View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
bdesj
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Bicycling/hypermiling: a good mix

I`ve been an avid bicyclist for longer than I`ve been an intentional hypermiler, so the energy conservation experience that I gain from pedalling has always helped me when it comes to energy conservation while driving. Recently I got a chuckle when I noticed that I`ve had hypermiling on the mind on long bike rides. It`s really the same thing, isn`t it?

While I`m no engineer, and not much for measuring and documentation (big thanks to your folks with that kind of patience, though), I think the effects of "irrational exhuberance" when pushing the pedals really make a big impresion that isn`t easy to forget- go too hard up a long grade or into a headwind, there`s no mistaking that you`re burning up a lot of fuel!

Lots more lessons: Start and stop half a dozen times in a short distance and you`ll feel it- acceleration is a bear. Since you have to pay to defy gravity, make dang sure you get your rebate on the other side. Sometimes lugging is good, sometimes you really need the RPM. Drafting can be awesome, but it can be dangerous too. Be careful when you do it and don`t get carried away. Tires and pressure are very important. Heavy sucks on the climbs, makes little difference when cruising. Sticky outy stuff hanging off sucks for crusing, matters little for acceleration and climbing.

I already had a good grip on all these points when I started watching gallons rather than carbs. When you read something, or even prove it to yourself with your own data and calculator, you learn a lot, but think the lessons you learn every day or every week by continuous sweating really make their marks in an unforgettable way. I hardily recommend pedlling as a training aid to any serious hypermiler