Thread: Artificial Lawn
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
Astroturf still needs maintenance regularly. Consider grass that doesn't grow too tall instead. I know centipede grass is used in a lot of places. Mulch or gravel is also an alternative.

I too hate bothering with the idea of a yard.
I agree, lawns are a PITA. At one point I almost considered installing green gravel.

Consider installing Zoysia grass. It tolerates drought well and is insect resistant. It's installed as plugs and is probably not cheap, though.

It's not the watering or the reseeding that's time consuming but constant vigilance in applying pesticide and weed killer when needed. Many times when a lawn becomes brown it's not due to lack of water, but also from insect damage, particularly from sod webworms, aka lawn moths. Removing thatch is also a real chore.

I've found that the best way to have a beautiful lawn is to buy all the necessary materials and don't skimp on application. Also timing of application is everything, and that's usually weather related. It's expensive to maintain a lawn and it takes years to rehabilitate it and eliminate existing deficiencies.

Sometimes I think that for all the time and money I've spent on it I might as well throw dollar bills all over it. That's what makes it green...