View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #411 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahPete View Post
I have something to suggest. Not quite sure how to phrase it or if anyone agrees with me.

Hill Acceleration:
When accelerating up curved hills inside of the curve to reduce the hill cimbing distance.

Maybe this can be added under 51 . Use the 'racing line'
I have thought about this too. My opinion is that the inside line being shorter, mean it's also the steepest line up the hill. And the relative distance of the two lines is very minimal. I have a few really steep hills to practice on everyday, and my current technique whether it helps or not is,
1, Accelerate to a speed before the hill that i have enough momentum to ride it to the top.
2, take the inside "racers" line at the bottom curve of the hill cause i need as much speed as i can.
3, As i approach the top, drive from the inside toward the far outside of the curve to somehow reduce the grade of the final portion of the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
In my opinion, accelerating on an incline follows the same idea, it uses a lot of fuel no matter what you do. So what I do is still accelerate with a good bit of throttle (not wide open flooring it) but relatively high engine load. I shift a little bit higher (1600 on flat ground/ 2000 going up hills), I use the torque of the motor (BSFC - worth a search on here), and just get it done and out of the way. Trying to pull really slowly up the hill, you will have poor MPG, for a longer period of time compared to just getting on the throttle for a shorter time.
MPG should be the same if your'e doing 25mpg up a hill for a mile at 55mph or 35mph. Though one will take longer. My word of caution is if you find yourself doing 25mpg at 55mph, you've covered a good distance fast enough that you can take an mpg hit pretty fast if you don't realize it.

My addition to #2 park and bike. If your destination is on a steep hill a mile up the road, park at the bottom and walk up. You can save a good chunk of mpg by walking two miles. Especially if that steep hill has a low speed limit and there isn't a coast down on the bottom.