View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #136 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
Well, it's been on my mind... I'm not sure how practical or workable this is though.

My pet idea is salvage an ultra-sonicator from a humidifier, apply it to fluorescent chalk instead of water, get a powerful blower and duct it into a 1" diameter vacuum cleaner hose, or something like that. Strap it to the roof, run the strap around through window cracks so it can be manipulated from the cab. But the hose would alter the air flow. Routing along the base of the front windshield would be the best compromise for on-road test. Hmm. Maybe I could use a 12V air compressor and make it with smaller air hose instead of the blower and vacuum cleaner hose.

Better yet, if I could wait for a day with a 30 MPH steady wind and minimal gusts I could find a place to park the car, preferably a wide-open lot, and use nature's wind-tunnel, and put the 'smoke' generator on a wand. Also need a weather vane, and preferably an anemometer.
I was thinking about this today, it just took a little while to find this discussion, but you already had better ideas that I had. I just wanted to share this thread that I found in the process: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tor-10488.html