View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #52 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Thanks Chaz. The 1st rib is sitting a bit high but it is because it is hung up on the 3rd brake light. I was in a hurry getting it from the test bed to the daily driver and didn't "fine tune" anything. The screws from the center coupling are hitting the top of the brake light and holding it up a bit. A little rotation on the coupling and it should fit. If not then I'll have to make a little bend. The cab does taper (dome?) a bit and maybe trying to match that will help the brake light situation also. Once I get the shape right then I will have to try and "skin" it temporarily in cardboard to try my hand at tuft testing. I'll have to search for a thread on here for the proper technique to do this. Placement of tufts, better materials to use, speed, how to video, and of course how the heck to post the results.

I may leave the 3rd rib like it is for now. I see your point about tapering too soon. a gradual taper would probably be better. The cab is at about 72° from vertical and I tapered the ribs 72°(to match the cab)/69°/66°/63°/60°(at tailgate) from front to back.