View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #155 (permalink)
cvetter
EcoModding Apprentice

Morning all. Wow!.. my quote actually is "Don't make it more trouble than it is worth"

Let me explain what I think about side winds. My Helix has a very low CG and a very center of pressure. I think the side winds blow me more because there is no mass up there to hold the bike from being pushed by the wind.
A year or so ago, I thought, "I wonder if I bolted a bowling ball at the top, behind my head if the mass up high would slow down the effects of gusts.

Then I thought, my body has mass... more mass than a bowling ball. And, my mass is already there. Why add more? So, I made a "socket" at the top to press my head into to lock the mass of my body into the scooter body.

It works. It works really great!

It dampens out side gusts.

But it does not reduce the total lean in awful sidewinds. Horrible sidewinds do not seem to trouble Ninjas. They do not seem to trouble Terry Hershner... maybe because he has bigger wheels like the Ninjas and has lot of mass in his batteries. I love design and here is another Vetterism:

"You want this? You gotta give up that."

A low center of gravity makes riding easy but does nothing to dampen out powerful sidewinds. When my storage area (higher up) has heavy stuff in it, the effect of gusts is reduced.

The higher the side streamlining area is, the easier it is for sidewinds to have their way with me. The lower the side area, the more uncomfortable the riding position. Who wants to have to make yourself small, riding slouched or road-racing style?

Not me.

"You want this? You gotta give up that"

Craig
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cvetter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-30-2013), Grant-53 (06-24-2013), sendler (06-24-2013)