Thread: Starter motor
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
The starter motor has a mount too.
My driving instructor taught me to use the starter motor to move the car if the engine fails in a dangerous spot. Select second gear, don't touch any pedal especially the clutch. As soon as you turn the key so will the wheels, even when your tank is dry.

People get killed while trying to push their stricken cars from railroad crossings and busy highway lanes. Many could have saved themselves by using the starter motor.

So I practiced the in-gear start every once in a while in my old Civic.
One day it refused to start. It did not even click or what. Battery was fine, lights were bright. err...
Maybe a dead point on the brushes? Pushed it a bit in gear to rotate the starter motor. Nothing.
Up went the bonnet. Where the starter motor used to be were just a lead going straight down and the remnants of the starter motor bracket. The starter motor was dangling on the lead deep in the engine bay!

So even using the starter motor can cause damage, especially if you move the car by it.
It can save your life. It can kill itself.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.