View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
jamesqf -- There's nothing stopping you from using multiple search engines; but the search term is customizable, for example "+uranium +vanadium +lead -Felder".
But why should I have to do that work, when a search engine could "learn" to do it for me? And of course this example presupposes that I already know enough about heavy metals to a) name some of them; and b) know terms to use to exclude crap.

This seems true at all levels. Take for instance Google News. It's supposed to be somewhat customizable, so I could in theory get news that isn't stuffed with sports & activities of "celebrities"; tech news that isn't 90% games, and so on. But the customization doesn't work, which means I waste time, and often miss really interesting things, because I can't define a working personalized crap filter.

PS: I do use 3 search engines. An older version of Opera, because it has the best user interface, a new version of Opera, because some pages don't render in the old version, and Firefox because some things (like Google Docs) don't work correctly in either Opera.