View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #6181 (permalink)
camosoul
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Hi Camosoul
Not so much a float as an anchor!
A series hybrid is bad news
Each time you convert energy the gods of engineering take a bite
Diesel - power 30%
Power - road 90%
Total - 27%

Serial Hybrid
Diesel - power 30%
Power - electricity 85%
electricity - power 85%
Power - road 90%
Total - 19.5%
I'm more than aware of the conversion losses. It's not what I'm after.

It's a point that's hard to drive in the electric car community, they just don't listen... My goal is different from everyone else's goal. I'm not trying to be zero emissions. I'm not trying to swing a big eco ego around. I want a better drive system powered by an engine(s) that create redundancy and are easier to work on.

I don't care if it's LESS fuel efficient. I want a drive train that is more reliable, and a motive force provider that doesn't make the car worthless if it breaks.

Modular. Redundant. Ready for batteries to grow up.

I'd like to add more pack as I can afford it and maybe get it to where I can drive 75 miles without the gens. Something I can build up. If I have to drop 30 grand just to get to town, it's not going to happen. I'm not rich. But, if I can do it one step at a time while having the benefits of redundancy and easy repairs that don't shut the vehicle down completely. The phrase "my car broke down" becomes "my car is slower but still works until I fix it."

So I kinda lied a little. I do want a greener, more efficient vehicle, but I know I can't get there all at once. I'm trying to do the part that has value to me up front, and add to it as I can. If some real battery ever happens, I'll be more than happy to dump the gens for it.

I don't want an engine problem to screw me. A gen can fall down and I can still drive. I can fix it really easy. A pure battery electric simply can't deliver what I need. I'm looking for something halfway in between.

As a counterpoint, you're comparing apples with apples. a huge engine producing only 25HP as it cruises along at 55mph is wasteful in dragging the whole massive friction/displacement contraption that it is along for the ride. 3 400cc engines running in their most efficient range is better than one engine that is an order of magnitude larger running nowhere near it's efficiency range.

I expect it to be a wash efficiency-wise. But, to carry the advantages of modularity, redundancy, maint, repair, etc... That whole list of stuff that's better than what the car companies would like to sell me but I don't want.

I didn't mean to hijack... But when the typical doesn't listen, skewed logic argument presents, as it always does in electric car forums... I'm forced to re-iterate until someone actually reads what I'm typing...