View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
T-Racer adjustable grille block

Open:

Closed:

The T-Racer just got some nice grille blockage that a casual observer may not even notice at all.

First to go were the "brake" grilles; a pair of old mudflaps donated the textured black plastic which is affixed via drywall screws through the slots in the original grills to plastic backing plates. Removal would be 100% reversable without a trace.

The fun part is the central block. A one-piece double floor of coroplast (folded hard taco shell style) fills in the void between the front bumper and the radiator support; the lower floor forming a flush panel between the bottom of the bumper and the top of the stock airdam, and the upper forming a flush panel from the top of the bumper to the radiator. It is an interference fit requiring no fasteners to affix it. Two sliding panels of black polycarbonate form the grille block doors, which each have over an inch of adjustability. They are retained by tabs and slots; they can be altered for a greater range of adjustment should experience with this show that it's warranted. The doors also bend back to form a rather nice duct from entrance to the a/c condensor. What may appear to be some sloppy asymmetry in the opening on the duct floor is necessary because of an asymmetrical bracket; if the appearance ever bugs me I'll hit it with some flat black paint and it'll virtually disappear.

It's anecdotal at this point but I got my best tank ever the first time out with these; 42 mpg with the a/c on in a a/t car- and this is practically the first time I've used the a/c at all! I did find that the "open" setting allows the a/c to function and the engine to not overheat on a very clammy 90 degree day.

P.S. T-Racer cuz it's a Mercury Tracer.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 06-27-2013 at 10:24 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-29-2013), BamZipPow (07-04-2013)