View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post

Your goal is easily achievable, it just depends how much you want to sacrifice to styling.

you said it yourself!
You are absolutely correct about the drag reduction measures, but my thinking (in this thread) is about aerodynamic stability. My observation is that there are areas where minimization of drag is critical, and they are mostly competitive events. Here though I hope to focus on issues of stability, particularly from sidewinds and other road traffic. As Scott says, these HPVs look quite difficult to control.

If I were a budding degree student, I would write my thesis on motorcycle aerodynamics. Its such a neglected subject area that anyone with access to reasonable equipment could easily become a world leader.

Maybe now is the time to redress the balance and push back against those FIM restrictions. I have always felt that motorsport governing bodies are misguided, but now it seems they have woken-up to how their rules shape future technology. Formula 1 rulemakers seem to understand how a framework can stimulate innovation, I wish the same was true of the motorcycle world.

I certainly feel that the future of motorcycle design is brighter than it has been, as the world wakes up to the concepts of efficiency and practicality.