View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
camosoul
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
... 65 mph ... 135 hp ...
I appreciate your input guys, but you're aiming for performance levels I don't need or want.

65 miles per wut? I'm not going to drive that fast. This thing will spend most of it's life on dirt or poorly paved roads. Time spent above 45mph is going to be minimal, and at that, I don't see a reason to ever go above 55.

My Passat IDLES at 27MPH in 5th gear.

I need help overcoming the charge level issue of the tandem battery/generator combo.

Think of it more like an electric tractor and an F-150 had a baby.

I'm thinking a triplet of China Freight 8500KW/7000KW gens. I do recognize the point about batteries... A part of me just wants to see if I can do it with the car batteries as a surge buffer for acceleration. I think it can be done. But, I can also be wrong about that. But, at the prices cited above, I may just go with some real lead acid batteries anyway.

To go twice the speed, I'd need 4 times the power. To go half the speed, I need 1/4 of the power...

We already know it takes about 30hp to roll an F-150 at 70mph. I want 50. That's 20mph less. 3x 7kw = ~28hp. The 420cc engine are really about 18 each. That's 54 ponies, and I won't even have to push them to 100% to do what I want. I'm not asking for half the speed. I'm asking for about 65%. So, I only need a little over half of the estimated power that I'd need at 70. Bu y that very, very rough estimation. 20HP, or 15KW should be enough. I'm packing a full 30% more just to let the gens run in a more comfortable range.

Does this goal assessment seem a little more rational?

Last edited by camosoul; 06-27-2013 at 10:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to camosoul For This Useful Post:
UFO (06-28-2013)