View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
eufo
EcoModding Lurker

Ariana - '13 Honda CR-Z EX NAVI
90 day: 42.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
I would have loved to say accelerate at max BSFC, but then that would stump the audience this is aimed at, who may happen on this article. I feel 2000-3000 rpm acceleration is a good average range for most engines which conveys to the masses that getting good (not optimum) mpg is not all about accelerating like "grandma". I personally found in my 2010 Prius that accelerating reasonably fast (in the HSI mid PWR region) has little impact on my overall mileage, but non-optimum braking has a big impact (the low hanging fruit if you will). It's nice that I can have the fun of quick acceleration and have a 60 mpg average (displayed) 58 mpg (calculated), which I know would be better if drove below 60 mph on the highway. I tend to cruise around 63 mph (displayed) on the highway plus or minus 5 mph to keep within 3% of the peak BSFC.
I think I'm the audience because I don't know what BSFC is... LOL! Seriously, though, what is it? I have always felt like accelerating too slowly isn't beneficial to MPG, so it is nice to see this confirmed.

There are a few owners of CR-Zs like mine that claim better MPG while using SPORT mode (accelerating quickly). I have tried SPORT mode a few times and haven't noticed any particular detriment except for extra power (read drag) dedicated to the A/C and also it tends to idle at stops more often instead of killing the engine.