View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
mikeyjd
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You get my point. There's a lot you can do before you get down to that fine tuning. The rest of the ¶ shows you have a handle on the issues.

One thread had the poster using a bigger square of paint friendly tape and a smaller square of something to hold the yarn to the first piece. I'd add—that could be hot melt glue before you cut a strip of tape into squares.

...and only half the cap needs to be tufted. A grid is a good start, but if you suspect separation, or worse—backflow, use longer yarns. A reconfigurable boom that gives a top rear view means you don't need a chase vehicle, although you could use one as well.

I'd skin it with Polymetal. Think strong as 5/8 plywood and light as coroplast. I haven't done a whole project with it, but I have tested samples. I could shear and roll it, but to brake an edge, I think you'd have to crush it along the line first. A 4x8' sheet is approx. $100 wholesale and $150 retail.
I'd be nervous about messing up. If you ruin that sheet and there goes 1 years fuel savings on the cap ^