View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchtastic View Post
Hello all! I am back with a 1994 Geo Metro 5-door. So far it's stock and I'm getting great results just using hypermiling techniques. But I can never leave anything alone.

I've had this idea bouncing around in my brain for several years now, and I finally have the car to try it on. It is an air dam with a flat bottom that goes under the engine (like modern VW's). This is several inches lower than the bellypan. The airflow goes through the radiator, follows the undertray, and comes out and merges with the air flowing under the car.

It would have a grille block and wheel spats and all that. But I was wanting a way to extract high pressure engine compartment air and maintain some radiator flow, while keeping everything flowing as smoothly as possible (because isn't that the whole point of a grille block, to stop air from getting muddied up in the engine compartment and exiting to the "dirty" underside of the car?)

What do you guys think? I've got my 4x8 sheet of Coroplast and am going to start working on this soon.
I'd be disinclined towards having the bottom lower than the belly of the Metro.You'll be introducing a backwards facing step,much like the bed of a pickup truck under the car with a horrific flow discontinuity and major perturbation as the fields attempt to mix.
I'd recommend that you look at what Ferrari is doing.They're spending hundreds of thousands of Euros in the wind tunnel to design efficient pans and extractors.