View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Here is my thread on the Subaru Forester forums: ('98-'00) P0325 on a 99 Forester "running on two cylinders" - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

I had Pep Boys do the timing belt and they told me that I did not need a knock sensor, just an engine treatment, and I was very happy when they did not charge me for it. However, after two weeks, the error code came back, and my P0325 changed to a P0301 and a P0303 (from faulty knock sensor to cylinders one and three misfire) and they wanted to charge me $280 for a valve clearance adjustment and $125 on labor for replacing the spark plugs and wires.

I replaced those myself, along with the knock sensor, which was cracked. My engine is running just as poorly as before, so I am wondering:

1) Did they install the timing belt wrong?
2) Did they mess up something diagnosing the CEL?

The car was running a little rough when I went back, but I do not think that it idled as poorly--it shakes the entire car!
If the timing belt is installed too far off, the engine will just destroy itself.

If it's a tooth off, it will run poorly ... but they generally won't start at all if the timing belt is off just a bit.