View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Talon
Builder

Cool. I had about given up on rods, due to the fact that a shift shaft would have to slip in between the bell housing and the engine, and any twisting action on a non-linear shaft would create a "swing" that I'm not sure would fit in between the bell and the oil pan. Also, I am a single seat. I want the shifter to be on the right, not between my knees, so I'll need about 18 inches of off-set from the location on the trans that the shifter enters. I think I can handle the offset with a pivoting shaft for the in/out and a cross-over rod for the twist part. I would much rather have rods than cables though. I am going to have to do some coat-hanger design work. Maybe the "swing" will be small enough to fit in the space available, maybe I can bring it clear under the bell housing, maybe I can do the off-set shaft in the rear and bring the shift-shaft around the right of the engine. Cables are 50-60 bucks apiece, so I definitely want to fully explore rods first. Rods just feel better too, if they are done right.

On another note, I did get the expensive DOM tubing to fit my bungs for the rear lower A-arms. Kinda irritating though, I gotta go out of town this week for work, so I won't get much done. Having parts waiting for me, but obligations getting in the way, is a downer.

Thanks for the information Jack, it is appreciated. Now I just need to get some garage time. . .

TALON §