View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
ThomCat316
EcoModding Lurker

Photos? Someday, when I have a breather...

As for the fan wiring logic:

"Low"
The S-10/Sonoma 2.2 4-cyl is innately overcooled, so I don't need much in the way of a pull-though fan to cool the engine itself - even in the Fort Lauderdale summer heat. The two weeks I went without any cooling fan at all was a bit educational; the SG water temp never got over 234F, and it took quite a while stuck in stop & stop traffic to get it up to that point. When it hit there I turned on the heater and it went back down. Therefore it follows that I don't need "high" for engine cooling.

"High"
I normally don't run the A/C at all when I'm cruising along at arterial/highway speed, so primarily it sees use at slow speeds and long stoplights. There's also a significant setback from the A/C condenser to the radiator and the stock intake resonator/cowl is....missing, so the additional air volume pulled by the high speed mode helps overcome any bleed-around airflow from inside the engine compartment.

Make sense the way I use it?

BTW, following your point about the A/C not necessarily needing the fan all the time, I may talk to a friend in the commercial A/C business and see if there's a way to sense either the line temperature or the system pressure and use that signal to turn off the fan when it's not needed. I just worry about mucking with A/C systems personally, not enough hands-on knowledge yet.

Thomcat