View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #123 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The battery in the L1 was not very large capacity.
I would expect the battery in a 600lb car to be of lower capacity than one in a 1600lb car. Either way, it's a non issue. There's plenty of space for a battery around the car without compromising the driver's seating position, tandem or not (which I think is your point).

Quote:
By the way, the XL1 is as efficient *or better* than the original L1, and it is much more practical. The L1 had an 8.5HP single cylinder diesel engine. And the electric motor was tiny, too - it was a snail.

The two interim designs were much lower efficiency.
So how much better could the original concept be now had it received the same level of development?

When I first commented in this thread I said that the XL1 is fantastic. It is. It's just that it could have been so much better. When it was reported that the "One-Liter" might go into production I was prepared to do whatever it took to own one when/if it was released. Not so for the XL1. It strikes me that this is what a first gen. Insight would look like if it were being produced today. I'd prefer to own an original Insight. I'm not particularly passionate about either car.