View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Thanks guys.

I would say I lose about 2mpg because of biodiesel, so maybe 5% drop max. Its hard for me to say exactly because I use biodiesel in the summertime and switch to an only 20% bio blend for the winter. So the straight bio has the benefit of warmer operating temps. End result is basically steady FE all year long.

I know everyone recommends driving style as the primary method of FE increase. I understand completely, and try to draft, coast and anticipate as much as possible. But when I wake up late for work I have to get here asap, meaning 80mph plus on the highway. Driving home I cruise much more. Now that my ECU is chipped I also like to accelerate a bit more.....

But my commute is about 40 miles of daily highway driving. Yes, I drive too fast. Often I have no choice but to go with the flow. But there still must be some gains that could be made in drag reduction. What do you guys advise as a next step?

I would really like to build a deck lid extension that tapers down gradually and in on the sides. I think lighter wheels with LRR tires and rear skirts are on the list too.