View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #67 (permalink)
nwbabybronco
Hermit

Aubergine - '94 Ford Ranger 4x4
90 day: 19.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
The car underbody and road surface are not moving at the same speed, therefore any reference to conventional ducts cannot be applied. I argue that interference drag between the car underbody and road surface does not exist as you imply.

Maybe interference drag does exist, but I can't work out two boundary layers touching each other in this situation. If anyone could clarify, that would help.

- LostCause
This will probably be way to simplistic, and I may be missing the implication, but driving on gravel and/or leaf-covered roads suggests to me that cars and roads interact with each other aerodynamically. I guess that must be an insignificant effect.

I am interested in this topic because I'll be lifting my truck slightly to improve its truck functions. It sounds like I may be able to at least be more aero than stock if I cover the underbody (quick release). That would put a flat undertray 7-9" off the ground.

Might a truck be a candidate for the catamaran shape listed above? I think I've seen some concept cars with that design.