View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #92 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

You also have the Edison2 and similar vehicles, which i believe will be the platform of future highway cars. From 800-1,400lbs they are 2.5-3X more efficient and use less than half the battery of todays EV's. Thats a 2-300% better cradle to grave sustainability of the vehicle, battery, and electric consumption over a modern EV. Thats an order of magnitude more environmentally friendly than your average gas car.

It hasn't been talked about much, but i also really like the idea of Neighborhood Electric Vehicles out numbering highway capable EV's, and NEV car-sharing. Something in the 48 volt range, and 20- 40 miles, lighter weight with even smaller batteries and easy to grid charge from a standard socket. These are even more cheaper and sustainable, and would displace the most pollution and gas use from city cars.

I think the author would've made a better case arguing against the scale and production requirements of modern cars in general. 3-4,000lbs of raw material with a single occupant in most cases. I might just count all the cars driving by on main street one day for half an hour and see what percentage have 1 person.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 07-04-2013 at 12:57 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheepdog 44 For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (07-05-2013), Occasionally6 (07-05-2013)