View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Home Depot sells it in some locations: Home Depot Roxul
Jeff88, that is very interesting!

I would need to special-order Roxul, ComfortBatt R-15 Unfaced 47 in. x 3 ft. 11 in. Batt Insulation, RXCB351525 at The Home Depot - Mobile, but this would be simpler: Shop Roxul 12-Pack 47-in L x 15-1/4-in W x 3-1/2-in D 15-R Stone Wool Insulation Batts at Lowes.com

Two of those should be enough, although one issue that we have not addressed is putting 3 1/2" insulation on the back of a garage door--all of the kits have 2" insulation!

Since this cuts with a bread knife, I could lay down 2x2s and saw it in half. It may stay in place with tension, but walls are not supposed to move, and you always cover them with drywall or something, so how would I mount this?

I keep thinking "Coroplast!"

Would the vinyl tape that I linked before work better than duct tape?
I am not too worried about getting the exact amount, being just a little short and wasting most of a package for a small area would be frustrating, but one thing that I have not mentioned is that they have a wall and a half without insulation! I imagine that some would argue that I should do that first, and certainly, an insulated wall would do more than an insulated door, but that would be a bigger and more expensive project, especially since I would be covering it with plywood, or perhaps pegboard.