View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
What about a belly pan radiator? Basically a thin metal plate on top of which you can route a coolant bearing tube. Keeps the mass center point low, improves aerodynamic properties and solves your cooling needs.

But I agree on the CAI concern. If the air you take in gets hotter it raises engine temperature under the same load, raising the radiator temp, raising the intake temp again.
Saw that happen this winter as I took the snorkel off which leads cool air to my intake (behind the rad). Snorkel needed to be back on when ambient rose above 10 Celsius.

Seems you can just mount a flat plate bridging the gap from the top of the radiator to the area just below the intake. In that way hot air from the radiator won't mix with the cool air flowing over it, so the latter can reach the intake.

Even a partial or full LGB can have that effect. Less air through the lower grill means lower under hood pressure and more air through the upper grille, flowing over the radiator etc.
I still run a full LGB. When I took it out as to not confuse the dealership when I had it serviced, the intake temp rose beyond the values I see normally. LGB back in then temp stays pretty much the same as ambient on the highway, even in summer weather.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 07-09-2013 at 10:51 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (01-03-2017)