View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
That is basically the stock configuration on my Chevy S-10 pick-up truck, and many cars as well. They all seem to be able to breath pretty well, and it's a long path of travel for leaves/mud/rain before they can do harm.

The KISS method; keep it simple stupid.
Pretty much. That's how I mounted my intake. Moved my battery and coolant bottle, freeing up a huge amount of real estate behind the headlight, then installed simple heat shields to isolate that part of the bay. Not as efficient as a CAI, but that area of the bay is noticeably cooler than the rest thanks to the insulation, and the dyno and butt-dyno both show benefits.

-

Rear mounted radiators would be nice, but a PITA to fabricate and install. All that weight savings goes MIA when you consider the extra gallon or two you'll be carrying in extra piping and tubing, plus the brackets for mounting the rear radiators. Might be some aero benefit to be had from sucking air from under the car and spitting it out back, but this exposes the radiator to muck and debris. Having had radiators mounted thusly in some of my vans, I can tell you, cooling absolutely sucks.