View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #47 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
I think you're thinking of the O2 sensor. The knock sensor detects knocking and adjusts the timing as needed.

You don't need to be a certified mechanic to be able to work on your car or to help friends and family. With the internet, most problems can be diagnosed with basic tools and a general understanding of how cars work. You can even find walkthrough videos for some repairs on youtube. Even if you can't do the actual repair, a couple hours on Google can save you from getting screwed when you take it to a mechanic. Sometimes they like to throw parts at the problem instead of doing a good diagnosis, but you can prevent that if you already have an idea what could be wrong (either by letting them know where to look or to know when to refuse an unnecessary repair).
Well, aside from two CEL diagnoses totaling $150, I think that I was able to prevent myself from wasting money, and it could have cost me far more than that amount, but the time involved was very unreasonable.

I was able to do some help for the friend that I mentioned before with the Sable, but fortunately, the friend and her car are not my concern anymore.