View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #178 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I don't know what that means except that maybe the T-zero can charge the battery at %78 efficiency (still have to get it out of the battery too), don't know what that translates to with a straight ICE?!?
Electricity doesn't work that way.
They don't have to get it out too.

At the battery terminals there are three devices connected electrically in parallel ... the generator , the batteries themselves , and the motor controller.

For example:
If the motor drive controller is pulling 20kw while the trailer generator is outputting 20kw ... than those 20kw can skip going through a battery cycle completely... pull = to push = net zero.

Their 3rd generation system is better ... but I don't have details at finger tips for it ... the 2nd generation AC Population system got from battery terminals to the road ( controller, motor, transmission , tires , etc ) at 86% efficiency ... that would mean 86% of 22% ... or ~19% efficiency from gasoline tank to road.

Again that is not great ... there are ICE vehicles with peaks above that ... but it is not horrible either ... there are conditions where a straight ICE vehicles will get down at or bellow those ~20% tank to road efficiencies... I've seen many BSFC charts that show the ICE itself bellow 20% even before the additional losses of going threw transmission and such.

- - - - - -

Modern Lithium batteries can have a round trip cycle efficiency of about ~98%.

So even if the motor controller only was pulling 15kwh directly ... ie no battery cycle loss ... while the trailer is putting out 20kwh ... the remaining 5kwh would get cycled through the batteries ... but at ~98% cycle efficiency ... that still would later get 4.9kwh of the 5kwh back out.