View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Oh my, this thread is funny. If you buy a sports car for it's highway MPG you are buying the car for the wrong reason. Drive a Prius to work, save the sports cars for the weekend and track days. Why trade off the comforts and practicality of a commuter car for the power of a sports car if you are not going to use the power? If you drive these cars in the way they were meant to be driven you won't be getting 30 mpg. If you want to have fun in the car you won't be getting 30 mpg. Save the fuel economy for your daily driver. Focus on the fun in sports cars.

Arguing about what is a sports car and what is a super car is just absurd. A sports car is a sports car if it was designed to be one. The amount of horsepower it has or the price tag has nothing to do with it. Does it put an uncontrollable smile on your face as you hit the apex of a corner? If you have ever sat in a Del Sol you know it was a sports car. I don't care if it only had 120 hp. 2 seats, targa top, low driving position, back hugging seats, shift knob up by the steering wheel, etc. It was all designed to feel sporty, and sporty it felt. The MX-5/Miata is one of the best sports cars in history. It has proof to back it up. It is probably the most raced production car ever. If that doesn't make it a sports car what does?