View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
So the convertible Corvette is a sports car but the hard top isn't? The Boxster (22/32) is a sports car but the Cayman isn't? Thats an interesting theory. Keep in mind that the 29 mpg claim was only for the hard top Stingray. No mention of the vert.
Typically, the classic definition is what's used to define roadsters nowadays, but most accept the use for tin-tops.

"An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds."

or

"a small, high-powered automobile with long, low lines, usually seating two persons."

Early sports cars, given the times, typically had no roof, as automobile tops back then were typically non-aerodynamic canvas bits on frames. It's only later on that they became enclosed.

-

I wouldn't really worry about it. I only ever drag it out when we have a net-fight over whether front-wheel drive cars can be sports cars or not. The answer? It doesn't matter. A Honda Integra is just as much a Sports Car as a Porsche 911, as they're both 2+2s with a focus on performance rather than comfort. And the Integra is lighter. The increasing weight and size of the 911 have some people classify it as a Sports Grand Tourer.

Meh. They're all sports cars, to me.