View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #853 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
A lower level of material wealth, as distinct from standard of living, than that currently found in the developed world may be necessary (possibly will be).
I don't see the distinction*, unless we are talking about gold-plated faucets and such. Clucking one's tongue at the way the wealthy squander what they have is fun, but beside the point. It only takes one person like Elon Musk, to make up for a lot of Paris Hiltons.

“Never forget that you are one of a kind. Never forget that if there weren't any need for you in all your uniqueness to be on this earth, you wouldn't be here in the first place. And never forget, no matter how overwhelming life's challenges and problems seem to be, that one person can make a difference in the world. In fact, it is always because of one person that all the changes that matter in the world come about. So be that one person. ”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Quote:
I mean what will it take politically.
Social anarchism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”

Heck, here's another one:

“I'm not trying to counsel any of you to do anything really special except dare to think. And to dare to go with the truth. And to dare to really love completely.”

Edit: *Found the one I was looking for:

"Wealth is our organized capability to cope effectively with the environment in sustaining our healthy regeneration and decreasing both the physical and metaphysical restrictions of the forward days of our lives."

Last edited by freebeard; 07-12-2013 at 02:54 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
sendler (07-14-2013)