View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I think power comes into play, the 86 GT has less than half the HP of the Corvette, it should be seeing better than 32. 400+ gets 31, 180 gets 32?

TT and Z4 are both not near as much power- I wouldn't classify them as a true sports car, like the base Camaro, Mustang, Challenger. They are sports cars, but they aren't the sportiest- sporty? lol, thats what I always call it. I, personally, try to reserve sports to Corvettes, GT500s, Viper, that range as true sports cars. Though, the Viper is expensive for a sports car, but its definitely not a super/hyper car...

My thoughts may not be clear, but the vehicles you mentioned (other than the Porsche, not sure about it) are not nearly as powerful while just edging out the fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
How is a Z4 or a TT not a sports car but a Challenger is? The Challenger is just a 2 ton rebodied late 90s Mercedes E class and the Mustang has a live axle rear suspension off a pickup truck. These are not sports cars by any stretch of the imagination.

Horsepower does not make a sports car. The claim was that the Corvette is the most fuel efficient sports car on the market. Thats clearly not true.
Let me rearrange that statement, this might help.

I wouldn't classify them as a true sports car, like the base Camaro, Mustang, Challenger.
=
Like the base Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, I wouldn't classify them as a true sports car.

I don't consider any of these cars "sports" cars, they are "sporty" to me and my car critiquing group. Is there a clear, defined line on what the EXACT description [of a sports car] is? No, and I don't think mine is right or wrong. It's an opinion, not being harsh, based on the information being presented.

I agree, the statement of being the most fuel efficient sports car is moot.

But,
86 GT-25/28/34-200
Au-TT-22/26/31-211
Bm-Z4-22/26/34-240
PCay-22/26/32-275
and
CVet-x/x/(30+)-(400+)

(Compare Side-by-Side & Compare Subaru BRZ 2013 vs. AudiTT2013 vs. BMWZ42013 vs. PorscheCayman2014 - Cars.com)

SO, for the economy to performance ratio makes me wonder why the 86 GT isn't getting 68 mpg highway. I know it doesn't work that way, I am saying it regarding the point-one has 3 to 0 extra highway mpg, but 200 LESS horsepower. To me, that means efficient for the Corvette.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.