View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response Green Hornet, I got your PM. I will post a reply here for others to read if they wish. If you want to communicate outside of the forum I will PM you my email address and we can go from there.

I have been trying to get a working version of the previously patented design built, but so far have no succeeded. It's one of those things that has to be done right and within very close tolerances or the benefits will be lost.

In 2006 Mr Kargul, from the linked article in the first post on this thread, basically stated that the cornerstone of the hydraulic hybrid system was the pump-motor design. AT that time the current state of the art technology was the bent axis pump. Which suffers significant efficiency losses at higher speeds. At low speeds it is in the mid 90s +, but at speeds of 2k RPM and higher that efficiency drops off to 75% which is unacceptable. The UPS vehicles used a bent axis pump running at prop shaft speed which is 3 or more times wheel speed so higher speed efficiency suffered. Igno Valentin as well as subsequent hydraulic hybrid designs addressed some of that efficiency loss by using in wheel drives, with various means of control of pressure and volume provided to the fixed displacement in wheel drives. This configuration still suffers from volume flow inefficiencies since the same amount of fluid passes through the drive ireespective of the load. The volume is directly proportional to the RPM of the in wheel drive.

The drive I patented resolves those issues by using a very ancient technology as it basis, the WW1 Rotary aircraft engine, but with several significant and crucial improvements, enough improvements to warrant a new patent on the design, a very difficult threshold to achieve.

The illustrations in the paten do a much better job of explaining how this works than I could in any thread here, but the bottom line is the drive is variable displacement, reversible, and works as foreward, neutral and reverse, using a single high pressure circuit for the fluid.

I'll continue in the next post.