View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Thank you for this thread.

I am familiar with most of the technologies linked to and would add the expansion of ideas as the aforementioned Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition ( HCCI ). This steps into the idea of Low Temperature Combustion (LTC) concepts. By mixing of fuels and their combustion reactivity, HCCI can be extended to work in a much broader load range. This Premixed Charge Compression Ignition (PCCI) is seeing much research and possibility.

Most new engine concepts deal with improving the mechanical configuration. But, even with the traditional piston/rod/crank diesel engine, you can improve efficiency via combustion shaping. The diesel engine already has the advantage of producing more torque over the most advantageous crank angles in comparison to the Spark Ignited (SI) engine. This advantage is accentuated in modern high pressure digital injection with its multi-injection capability. The Transonic Super Critical injector expands on this even more.

As valve timing technologies mature and become more common place, diesel engines will be able to take advantage. Yes, most manufacturers as of yet do not see fit to equip diesels as such, but I feel soon, the costs will outweigh the gains. Then, diesels will be able to run in the over expansion mode, much like the Prius engines. A Colorado physicist who was part of these forums in the past did a white paper that I helped peer review. It was a mathematical modelling of an over expanded diesel engine. He calculated such an engine could approach 60% thermal efficiency in theory.

We haven't even begun to apply reduced entropy combustion schemes.

The diesel engine is a great place to start if you are a serious ecomodder. It will reward you with excellent efficiency even in the most basic of models. It will allow you to take advantage of advanced combustion theories as you move forward.

The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
GreenHornet (07-19-2013)