View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Mudgey
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I see two things:

The piping to carry the coolant is subject to corrosion. Water-cooled vanagons have piping that is suitable.

The low pressure wake may not be as helpful as you might think. VW bus owners argue about this. What's more important is the ducting. Maybe you could replace the rear decklid and wing with something Porsche-like with the radiator mounted at an angle, canted to the front. The inlet and outlet can be as llttle as 1/6th the area of the gross dimensions of the radiator itself.

To answer the question, if the internal drag of a sealed engine compartment plus the ducting and radiator (which has a lot of drag just by itself) in back is less you win. So it sort of depends.
Thanks for your reply, the options are:

1. 32mm Alloy pipe, subject to corrosion like you mentioned but only surface corrosion? Unless salt will eat past the surface? Much much harder to route, if I don't go bent and welded there will be an awful lot of connections that could potentiall leak.
2. AN16 hose & fittings, I am a distributor for a brand of hose fittings so I won't be paying full retail but they are still expensive! This will be far easier to route as I can clip them back and there is only the connections at the front and back to worry about.

I have been thinking about radiator placement and airflow, I don't want to chop anything up incase it doesn't work out then I haven't runied the appearance of my car, I will get a 2nd and bumper n chop that up, if it doesn't work I can put it all back to normal and won't have lost hardly any cash! First off I am going to work on a cold air feed and do an ABA test of my car at 70mph as I won't know if any changes will effect the FE if I don't have a baseline figure.