View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #213 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Need to see someones work backing up their belief that series is more efficient, regardless of the starting bsfc. Otherwise it is just a religion.
There are practical reasons why one would do series, it has nothing to do with religion (or efficiency).

Understand I don't really support a series F150 from a fuel economy standpoint.

In my case I use series because
1. I have a generator and a means of coupling to my production EV with cheap/free off the shelf items that I already have.
2. My kei van does not have a reasonable method of attaching a motor to a wheel.

So basically in my case its a practical reason,
AKA Mechanically I am capable of attaching a trailer hitch mounted pad and generator. (any idiot can do that but building and controlling an efficient pusher I could not, nor would I be able to have it ready in any reasonable period of time even if I could)
AKA electrically I am capable of attaching the generator to the ev which has the DC taps in the ass end where the generator sits.

I have not yet figured out fuel economy beyond the rated amounts of fuel the genset uses to produce the current required to run the dead man "charger". Which is hypothetical.

In my case doing this allows a handfull of trips to be run 30+ miles on EV and 5-12 miles on gasser above and beyond that amount.

Thus far doing it the last 3 months we haven't even used a tankfull on the genset. (1.3 gallons)

By using the genset it allows my father to use the EV as opposed to the Dodge Ram Crewcab (11mpg if driven by him) or the suburban (not much better) for the full distance.

So in my particular circumstance, even if I am only getting say 22mpg on the EV portion of an occasional trip it is still far superior to running the dodge at all or suburban for that matter. (hypothetical is around 27mpg strictly by the steady state number, I assume 25mpg to make up for accel)

Most of my fathers miles are EV but by using the genset it enables him to use the EV instead of something far worse on the odd trips to seem to go past his tired battery packs range.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
IamIan (07-15-2013)