View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #218 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I stopped reading after looking at how load/rpm dependant that controller is, and seeing it as "predicted" instead of measured, and seeing you quote 99% efficiency, please put your "ideal" system together, and then we can compare it to an ideal pusher with an ideal driver. I am not convinced you see the light yet. You are saying there are ALWAYS scenarios where series will be more efficient, time to back it up. And no assuming that the driver is stupid, they can coast and accelerate efficiently and use the terrain, I am not designing a pusher for the average idiot..
You pulled numbers out of thin air ... with ZERO references.
Then you knock the numbers I give with references?

There is no one single IDEAL for all situations ... there is no ALWAYS for all situations.

You will get different results from different situations... which is what I have been consistently writing ... over and over again.

One situation is a smart driver ... another situation is a stupid driver ... ready for it ... different situations give different results.

And smart driver or stupid driver are possible situations for either system.

But sure ... I'll even give another situation to you ... how about a mass produced motor controller with 10+ year old technology in it.

Attached ... The 2004 Prius motor controller... testing done by DOE in 2006.. oh look It still has over 99% peak efficiency.... the previous situation with ~35% peak efficiency is a possible situation ... as is the situation where there are conditions where the referenced engine will only be at ~28% efficiency.... previous still stands.

There is no always A>B ... some situations A>B ... other situations B>A.

Sometimes the pusher is better ... sometimes the generator is better ... it depends on the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PriusInverterEfficiency.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	13466