View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I thought it was about time to update this thread with some recent progress. I have quite a few things, so I will break them up into sections.

1. I had a very dangerous experience with my belly pan yesterday. I started a new thread in the EcoModding Central to discuss this, because this issue was too dangerous and important not to get a new thread started. If you have a belly pan please go look at this thread if you have not already, but I don’t want to clutter the forum repeating the story here. Spoiler alert: It involved a belly pan, exhaust heat and a fuel tank.

2. After finishing the back 40% of my belly pan, I had to remove this section (see above). I was able to reinstall the last 15% or so, so the car is about 75% panned as it sits. I would like to install another 15% or so of pan under the fuel tank before it gets to the muffler, leaving the section under the muffler out. However there is an exhaust pipe running beside the fuel tank at this part. I am looking for suggestions on this part, has anyone simply cut holes in the belly pan to allow heat to escape, or should I only install the pan under the fuel tank and leave the section under the exhaust completely out?

3. Since I was already working on (and mad at) my car, I removed my “Drag Parachute” of a wing yesterday as well. The bolts came off easily enough, but the tricky part was getting the mountain of adhesive off. This has changed the look of the car, and I think I like the fact that it has “toned down” the aggressive appearance of the car. There are open bolt holes there, so I have temporarily used masking tape to keep the water out. Getting the holes filled and painted is on the to do list now.

4. Since I was in a removing mood, I completed the real clean up by removing the rear window windshield wiper from the car. I will probably miss this functionality in the rain, so my thoughts at the present are to either deal with it, make a lower profile wiper handle and blade to reinstall, or make a quick attach/release mechanism to be able to reattach the wiper as needed.

5. Something or someone assisted me with an antenna delete a few weeks back. I think it was some limbs by my driveway hit it too many times and snapped it. I will need to remove the remaining assembly and fill this hole in as well.

6. In other belly pan news, when I had to remove the engine pan to change the oil, I replaced the screws with Dzus fasteners, which are spring loaded half turn quick releases, but they won’t shake open and let the pan loose.

7. I was going to get the windows tinted, but the only day I could get away to do it, I called and they were out of the tint I wanted. Next time I can get free time to be able to drive the car there I will probably try to get that done again.

I am posting this to get all of your thoughts and opinions, so let me know what you think.