View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
Johnny Mullet
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I am needing some advise or maybe some experience on my grill block project. I am going to be using that thick, plastic mudflap material for the build, but unsure on how to approach this. Attaching the material is not a problem, but where to use it for the best fuel economy and proper cooling is.

There is already a 3/4" gap between the bumper and hood that I will leave alone and where I have those lamps mounted pretty much blocks those sections off (left side of my brain just said "Fill 'em all with lights!" haha.) The upper sections on each side of the lights seem to go nowhere for any cooling purposes at all and probably cause a lot of drag. So if there is enough airflow from the gap under the hood, I could do a full grill block similar to this...............

I was also thinking of just blocking off those side pieces that go nowhere for a partial block similar to this image................

Another idea was simply blocking off the lower portion of the grill, but extending it lower for an air dam effect also like in this image............

I am in no hurry to do this mod, but plan on having it done by winter. The Metro is already getting an astounding 62 MPG in it's current state with the mods and repairs I have already done documented in this thread. I want it to look good and this black plastic mudflap material will match my bumper material in color almost.

I would also like to incorporate moving the front license plate into the mod by relocating it or making it flush with the bumper or grille area.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome! I need your help to make this a very professional looking modification and hopefully achieve even better fuel economy.

Thanks.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?