View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
cujet
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
You make three statements that disprove your fourth. Explain a bit more.
You think my post is confusing, hahaha. You should experience my brain... (or what's left of my 3, functional brain cells)(just a little joke)

I was thinking about: Alcohol Fueled Heavy Duty Vehicles Using Clean, High Efficiency Engines and the promise of such. Having done development work with turbocharged race and street engines for 30+ years, I found the above quite interesting.

Then, recalled my time at Mobil Oil and the practicality of gasoline. It's easy, cheap and remains plentiful. A bit off subject. But that's how it goes with me... 3 brain cells, 3 different directions.

From an aviation standpoint, weight is what matters. And that's what I consider first. Volume being a secondary consideration. If Jet A and 100LL Avgas have nearly the same specific energy, then it's engine configuration that dictates the result. An interesting battle is shaping up between modern aviation diesels and modern piston gasoline burners. BSFC is what matters here. The winner is not clear yet. Both have quite similar BSFC numbers. The gas engines start/restart more readily in cold weather and at high altitudes.