View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #254 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Well I did ask you to clarify, and you chastise instead. Your beliefs hinge on vaporware as far as I can tell.

I think it is more accurate for you to say something like:"maybe there is a scenario where an optimized generator is actually more efficient than an optimized pusher with a skilled driver, but I haven't really done a complete analysis, nor can I say that the bulk of range extended miles would be most efficiently accomplished by a generator, we do know that a pusher has higher peak efficiencies and that a good driver can make a world of difference, such as the %25 improvement in the renault-nissan EV link".

The advantages you want to remove is the driver, and higher peak efficiency (over a wide range of operating parameters). I am not convinced of your assertion that an ICE and/or technique optimization applied to the same scenario on a pusher as an optimized generator will not always be more efficient for the "pusher", we have some clear cases where pusher is more efficient, the cases where you claim generator is more efficient are still a mystery (and what pusher and technique are you comparing them to?).

My insight tells me that the generator is ALWAYS going to be some fraction as efficient as the pusher in the right hands, except maybe for some fluke edge conditions, using today's technology anyway. It is a reasonable conclusion.

Last edited by P-hack; 07-19-2013 at 06:07 PM..