View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #259 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
IamIan - what I saw in your response to P-hack is that the individual components are more efficient than originally stated... but I didn't see anything you wrote that indicates the overall genset-to-wheels path is more efficient (from a gph consumption perspective) than a ICE-to-pusher-wheels path. I did my best with my scenarios using same vehicles and what I would consider to be realistic scenarios and could not get it to work out in favor of the genset. Do you have a realistic scenario where you can get it to work out in favor of the genset? If so, could you please share?
Sorry if you missed it... I will try to explain it again for you.

There is a functional difference between the Pusher Trailer and the Generator:

That the pusher trailer torque , RPM , and power have a finite divergence they can have from the torque , RPM , and power at the tire.

The generator does not have this limitation as it is not connected to the road ... it can put out 10kw or 20 kw weather that load is needed that second at the wheel or not ... and it can run at any torque and rpm for efficiency that it wants ... no matter what the vehicle speed is ... or what the vehicle movement load is.

This difference in functionality means that there are situations of operation where the pusher is forced into lower ICE operating conditions ... as it can not avoid the real time power , rpm , and torque of the tire.

See the color codes I added the the BSFC in past post for the sections of that graph that correspond to the numbers I gave previously.