View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #265 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
As has been discussed, we would need to see real world examples of the setup to get real world numbers. Perhaps in the real world it performs adequately for typical driving and rest stops.
Sorry ... I don't have the spare time or money ... or interest to be honest ... to build it ... just as some vain effort to convince others ... The data and evidence on paper are clear ... if other wish to disprove what has been presented ... that's their nickle.

That having been said ... if I ever win the lottery ... even though I don't play ... then sure when I have lots of spare time and money... I'll build the 40+% efficient fuel to wheel generator trailer... but given the odds of that kind of wind fall ... Don't ever expect it to actually happen.

Quote:
On paper though, it's not looking good.
I disagree.
On paper ... as has been described ... and referenced to real devices ... and shown ... it looks very good for the generator in some situations ... and very good for the pusher in other situations.

Quote:
Perhaps you can link to a genset that has a sufficiently high kWh to fuel consumption rate that exceeds the 30mpg rate assuming a typical Leaf consumption and speed?
mpg is a very poor efficiency metric.
1 mile is not a set amount of joules ... but 1 gallon is.
You could be at the same % efficiency and at very different MPG , as the energy use per mile changes... heck your efficiency could be higher and have a lower MPG.

Asking for a link to a off the shelf generator ...that you want to compare to the custom eco-modified pusher ... is not a apples to apples comparison.

If you wanted apples to apples ... the pusher would have to be just as off the shelf available as the generator ... and if you did that ... the generator will win the availability by a long margin.

If you instead go back to the back Eco-Modded Generator vs Eco-Modded Trailer ... that both use off the shelf components type of Apples to Apples ... that is back to the example already at hand ... and it results in areas weather either one is better depending on the situation ... in some situations the pusher is more efficient and in other situations the generator is more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
In short, 1) the genset loses because it already starts out being less efficient, and 2) it then loses more because it has the same bsfc issues that you describe for a pusher scenario.
#1> less peak efficient ... yes ... other than that ... it depends on the situation... There are many points on the BSFC that have been shown would be more efficient via the generator.

#2> No ... It doesn't have the same BSFC issues the pusher has.

The generator can run at any peak efficiency RPM it wants to , no matter what the vehicle speed is ... the pusher can't do that ... transmissions have limits ... the generator can run at any peak efficiency torque load it wants to , no matter what the torque load at the tire is ... the pusher can't do that... again transmission have limits... and the generator can run at any peak efficiency combined RPM and Toque and Power it wants to ... the pusher can't do that ... again transmissions have limits... the cycle through the batteries while lower ... is still more efficient than some of the pusher BSFC operating conditions ... which gives another functional difference.

They are not the same.

Thus the areas of on the BSFC I color coded... there are situations where the pusher is more efficient than a generator ... and there are situations where it is less efficient than a generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Do you have an actual case where the genset comes out ahead? I don't mean zooming in on individual pieces, but rather a complete "apples-apples" system, with a real (or realistic) EV as the control vehicle. I'm just not seeing it.
AFAIK , I already listed that.

I did not include any specific vehicle ... because it doesn't matter ... 1 joule of mechanical energy to move vehicle A will move vehicle A the same no matter what it's source is ... 1 joule is 1 joule.

If you disagree about some part of the previous example at hand ... tell me what that part is.

In my previously posted example ... we used the same ICE for both the pusher and the generator ... which I think is a better apples to apples comparison than mixing different ICEs.

But Otherwise ... without knowing what part you disagree with ... Without evidence or such to counter it ... My position stands as supported by the evidence presented to date as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
Which one is more net efficient , the pusher or the generator ... will depend on the situation ... In some situations the pusher will be more net efficient ... in other different situations the generator will be more net efficient.
- - - - - -

Notes about About the ~6.6kw charging limit brought up before about the leaf ... how that effects a range increase is only a factor of the magnitude of that kw of power.

#1> ~6.6kw of pusher power to the wheels will be just as lacking as ~6.6kw of generator power to the wheels.

#2> The ~6.6kw is only in reference to the Leafs slower mode AC-DC on board charge converter ... The Leaf is functionally capable of High power ~60kw charge rates via a 480V 125Amp CHAdeMO compliant fast charging protocol system ... which if you use that system to connect the generator ~60kw is more than enough power.

#3> The charge rates of the Leaf to the batteries only matter for the amount of generator surplus produced beyond what the vehicle is using in real time ... if you only need 10kw real time , but are producing 12kw at that moment ... than 2kw is all the batteries are getting charged with... even though you are running a 12kw generator.

#4> Keep in mind I doubt the Leaf system would OEM just let you do this ... it would likely require at least some level of modding... it is not OEM designed for generator trailer.

Last edited by IamIan; 07-20-2013 at 05:59 PM..