View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #274 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
That's the same part I disagree with.... redpoint5 pointed out one problem... even at peak load, constant rpm, there is no genset available that can give you lower fuel consumption from fuel tank to wheels compared to a pusher. Another problem is that even if you assume constant rpm for the genset, you cannot assume constant load, especially if hooked up directly to the motor controller. There will be times when the car is climbing or accelerating when the genset is in its bsfc sweet spot, when cruising it'll be only part way up the bsfc (between your red and blue lines ), and when not drawing any power at all, the genset will be back there roaring away producing nothing.

In short, 1) the genset loses because it already starts out being less efficient, and 2) it then loses more because it has the same bsfc issues that you describe for a pusher scenario.

Do you have an actual case where the genset comes out ahead? I don't mean zooming in on individual pieces, but rather a complete "apples-apples" system, with a real (or realistic) EV as the control vehicle. I'm just not seeing it.
My case is an actual case
1. I know my chargers output and amperage requirement
2. The genset I have and the genset I want both have a fuel usage rating at the number of amps I use
3. My charger is incapable of putting out more than the car uses. (unless I am driving under 25mph)

So in my case I can calculate
1. How far can I drive with the genset and how much fuel will I use during that period
2. How long will it take to recharge (not moving) off the genset and how much fuel will it take.

If I use the diesel genset to power my Kei van the fuel economy should end up roughly where I calculate, 75-90mpg is possible on the kei van with a diesel genset, higher still if I buy the genset with a DC head cutting the charger out of the equation.

the reason is because I am using the actual in out of the devices on my car which already bakes in the inefficiency. (not saying I can't be even less efficient, but likewise I could also be more efficient if I want to really turtle)

Cheers
Ryan