View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrazyLee
EcoModding Lurker

The Beast - '93 Fleetwood Flair includes kitchen sink
90 day: 9.2 mpg (US)

The Bigger Beast - '03 Winnebago Sightseer Motor Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpe3 View Post
Greetings,
So, I have a few vehicles. I can't say that Hypermiing was high on my list of things to do.

We had a Minivan, I sold my Focus and bought a BMW 325i, On recent trips I discovered that it is just not very comfortable for a family of 6. ( only had four in the BMW) Bought a monster, 2002 Ford Expedition. My first tank made me sick, 10mpg, followed by my second tank at 9.5. Something had to be done. I read this site and others changed my driving style and Tuned up the Ford. I reached 13+ on this fill up. I will be tring other tactics and playing the "Game" with a instant MPG meter. I ordered a wireless OBD2 adapter that works with my iphone. I can't wait for it to get here to learn more.

I also would like to buils a boat tail like on some 18 wheelers to see if that helps on a long trip.

I'm sure that we all have had the monster fuel gobbling vehicle. There many tips on this forum to get better fuel mileage. Here are a few things I do to get The Beast motor home to get 15-16 mpg.

First buy a good fuel mileage meter if one isn't already in the vehicle. (I installed an MPGuino + JCar module.)
By keeping the actual fuel usage on the meter higher than the average mpg reading ensures that your fuel mileage is getting better.
Make sure the engine is in a lean burn condition. How? By lifting the throttle and pressing it back down. This forces the ECU to set the engine into lean burn. Look and see how much more the MPG meter went up. You do not have to lift all the way either. Monitor the meter often, but keeping your eyes on the road. Safe driving is paramount.

When approaching a hill press down on the accelerator ever so slowly so the lean burn condition stays "in". Try to gain 5 mph. Now, hold the throttle very still and you may crest the hill still in lean burn. This saves a real lot of gas! Always lift the throttle when cresting a hill. Coast downhill a much as possible, not losing too much speed. (Most EFI vehicles shut off the injectors during a Coast @ over 50 mph.)

You may find other tricks to driving efficiently. Just pass them on.

I am now getting 15-6 mpg on my motor home "The Beast" It's in my garage.