View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Modder View Post
I think you need to start a fuel log for your truck...

Consider this, the fixed fan takes horsepower to turn, the more rpms, the more horse power. On low horsepower engines, like yours and mineremovingthe fan and replacing with a electric can give you a +5% or more increase in power. I amrunning a cheapy ele fan in my car and def won't go back to a mech fam.
I also recomend reducing turbulance under the truck, easy as a lawn edging air dam, or as a belly pan. Again reducesthe amount of horsepower required tl move the van down the road.
Reducing weight, removing un needed seats, carpeting, speakers ect, is also good for city driving, + it alows an increase in payload.
Bumping your tires to max preasure will allow less roling resistance and also give you some more tire payload. Make sure the truck is mechanically sound esp in the steering dept, tierod ends ball joints ect... Tires wobbling and exessive corecting of steering will reduce fuel mpg's
Sounds fun, have fun, and let us know.

Electric fan is definitely an attractive idea. To do so ill have to rework how the radiator is held, as the fan shrouds actually hold it in in this application. I might cut them down or make something out of aluminum that does the same thing.

As far as underneath, I have a pretty bumpy skyline there, I relocated the battery to underneath, and in order to perform the engine swap, I did a suspension lower and a body lift to create up and down space, so I have a lot of large areas for wind capture from that modification.

The original 4.3 motor was wider and lower, and the diesel is tall and thin, so space was cramped in one dimension, and roomy in others