Thread: Bourke Engine
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

ConnClark -- I always appreciate your input. Can you point to a similar critique of the Scuderi engine without going too far off-topic?
The Scuderi split cycle actually has some promise (not to mention that they have working prototypes with decent results). I don't have a link to a critique of it. As I can see the only potential loss of efficiency is the transfer passage between the two pistons. This loss is not like what would be experienced on the Bourke engine. For one, it doesn't waste the energy of compression. Also losses from the transfer passage will be offset by keeping the combustion in the hot cylinder thus reducing cooling losses ( To the extent of how much this is offset I can't say).

The biggest obstacle to it would probably be the retooling costs for mass production. Also big business might just wait for their patents to expire.

It looks as though the company has ran afoul of the SEC recently
Scuderi Group announces engine deal, won't name company it is working with | masslive.com

However, it they are spending money on actual work and research unlike Bourke Engine developers.