View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Getting passed on an off-ramp and other craziness thread!

There may be a similar thread elsewhere but I figured we could all post stories about our travels and crazy drivers you encounter. Especially the drivers where your only reaction is

I have many of these encounters on a weekly basis. I had these encounters on an hourly basis when I lived in Kansas City during rush hour traffic. It seems that people are completely oblivious to other people on the road. Being polite, using your turn signals, following basic traffic laws... These are a few things that are rare on the road, at least where I drive. Anyway...

So today was exiting the highway when I noticed a minivan tailing me pretty close. It's safe to take the off-ramp at about 40 mph due to a 180-degree turn immediately after you exit the highway. After navigating the turn its about 500 feet before the off-ramp meets the intersecting road, where you either stop (left turn) or yield to crossing traffic (right turn). This off-ramp is not multi-lane, except it has a dedicated right turn at the intersect point. But apparently 40 mph was not enough for the minivan, and it continued to pass me on the left and then cut back in front of me, all just to slow down shortly ahead for the right turn yield. This is amusing to me, and I just laughed it off. I laughed harder when a few miles down the road I end up passing the minivan (multi-lane road) and gave them a nice little honk just to make sure they noticed that passing me had absolutely no advantage.

Anyone have moments like this to share?