View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hi, and welcome.

I see you now have stats under your username. I think MetroMPG may have helped you out, I think he's the site owner/mod.

I know the aero on an Astro isn't great, but there's plenty of room for improvement. You could add a bellypan underneath, skirt those rear wheels, add an airdam up front, etc.

Go look at Aerohead's assorted posts, the guy is an aerodynamics whiz. And for inspiration, read up on Basjoos, who takes aerodynamic optimization to its ludicrous ideal...ludicrous, but profitable.

Subbed, if I can figure out which button to push.
thanks! good ideas, definitely a belly pan, and rear wheel skirts will do nothing to the daily usability of the van, while maybe improving economy

One thing id like to try and rig up long term is a ladder rack that either folds out, or is in some way aero. i only occasionally need to carry a ladder, but the bulky and exceedingly useful heavy racks on most work vans kill economy. If I can build something that can duplicate it but fold down behind some kind of wind fairing, that would be the best of both worlds for me