View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Needless to say that I like this project, altough I'd rather use some Asian engine instead.

That transmission from Volkswagen was just a regular 3-speed non-synchronized manual, but had both a viscous torque converter and a dry clutch for the gear shifts. The clutch was only engaged when the driver touched the lever, with a photoelectric sensor like the one used in cars adapted to disabled drivers. There were also some versions which used the electric actuator similar to the one used in the cars fitted with the Saxomat automatic clutch, which had a centrifugal plate to keep the clutch depressed when idling and a vacuum-activated setup for the gear shifting, with an electric contact assembled at the shifter lever to release a vacuum solenoid.

Quote:
Frank Lee- I have one of those- it's a head-scratcher for sure with all the disadvantages of manual and automatic transmissions combined into one super complex unit.
I find it conceptually fascinating how they designed the transmission personally, thanks for this added description! Though it does seem to be a major piece of complexity. My neighbor has already rebuilt the think early this year, and its having problems again, requires constant attention.

Decided on the MB engine as I am very familiar with them, less so with asian plants, but there is a guy who put I believe a nissan 6cyl diesel and 5-speed in his astro as well. He reports excellent service.

Here is his thread on his build-
NissanDiesel :: View topic - Astro Van with LD28

and here is my build thread as well-
http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewt...hp?f=72&t=8941

I would really love to compare the two eventually. His has been in service for years I believe, he's put a lot of miles on it
The Following User Says Thank You to JB3 For This Useful Post:
slowmover (07-23-2013)