View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #455 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The main reasons I using waterproof carpenter's glue is: no nasty vapors, no mixing, cleans up with water, and it has a chance on being biodegradable. It is not cheap at ~$33 gallon, but it is less expensive than epoxy.

I'd have to use epoxy, given that I am using the XPS extruded polystyrene foam.

From what I have seen using this Titebond III glue over the past year or so on the XPS foam is that it remains quite flexible even when it is much thicker than it will be on the fiberglass. Edit: as you flex a thick piece of this glue, it softens somewhat, and after repeated extreme bending (well over 90 degrees) it then gently breaks. It is definitely not brittle.

The bonding with the fiberglass fabric is much easier/better than I had thought. I'll post pictures of my sample pieces soon. Drying on the surface will be fine - when there was too much glue between the layers of foam, the drying took days/weeks, but most of the time it was dry quickly - on dry warm days.

Today is near 100% humidity, so drying to lose surface tackiness is about 12 hours, and much longer for thorough drying.

Worst case with this chassis is that it becomes a male plug to make molds from.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 07-23-2013 at 03:47 PM..